On October 12, 1912, a group of 22 people who were interested in organizing a Baptist church met in a one-room school house. Reverend Rodgers from Tavares, Florida, was the moderator. Shortly thereafter, a Sunday School was organized and the Women’s Missionary Group was established. Services were held in the school house until January, 1913. By that time the membership had grown to 51.
Mr. George Battle generously donated a piece of property on which to build the church. We worshipped in that building until 1956. During this time we were ministered to by Reverend Cecil Baughman, and we purchased 3-1/4 acres where our current worship center stands.
In 1961, the Fellowship Hall was constructed and worship services were held there until the auditorium was completed in 1965. The Women’s Missionary Group purchased our first organ, four tables, and twenty pews. A Girls and Boys Auxiliary was established in the 1960s, giving us the privilege to reach out to the local children in our community. We operated a radio ministry throughout the 70s and also again in the 90s for those who were unable to physically attend worship services.
The 80s and 90s saw further changes with remodeling of our Fellowship Hall, addition of larger bathrooms, installation of a new baptistery, addition of classrooms to the front of the church, along with a much needed fully equipped kitchen.
For over 100 years we have witnessed many social changes, not only in our community but around the world. Our main objective has always been to tell about the Love of our Lord Jesus Christ to whomever we could reach out to. We are still standing because First Baptist Church of Sorrento has remained faithful to God’s Word.